Due to technical issues at our booth I didn’t get to go to any sessions yesterday. Today however I managed to get someone else from my company (thanks Martin!) to fill in for me so I can go to sessions. I have the entire day lined up and started out bright and early with a BOF and will continue into in the night before going to an IBM dinner arrangement. Here is my plan for the day:
- 07:00-08:00 – BOF on composite application development
- 08:30-09:30 – UC2 Keynote
- 10:00-11:00 – AD113 (plug-in deep dive)
- 11:15-12:15 – AD202 (view extensibility)
- 13:30-14:30 – AD103 (Eclipse based components)
- 15:00-16:00 – AD204 (UI guidelines)
- 16:15-17:15 – ID208 (what’s new in Domino security)
- 17:45-18:45 – BOF101 or BOF102/li>
- 19:30-??:?? – IBM DP Dinner
Whew! That’s one full day worth of stuff!
I went to the “Meet the Developers” lab to discuss some Expeditor issues I have been having and got a few questions answered. For one it turns out that Expeditor 6.1 isn’t supported on Windows 2003 due to “strange errors”. This means that the 6 hours I have spent today getting my demo environment on Windows 2003 to work have been in vain.
Apart from that I was told that Notes 8.5 will be based on the upcoming Expeditor 6.2 (out later in the year) which again is based on Eclipse 3.4. This means that Lotus will skip Eclipse 3.3 (Europa) altogether. I was also told that IBM will never remove libraries even though they have been deprecated in Eclipse.
Arrrhhhh…. I’m going to miss HND301 due to technical problems at our booth… 😦
Well Lotusphere 2008 has (un)officially started and already we’re hearing exciting stuff about the upcoming Lotus Foundations and the intention by IBM to acquire Net Integrations. Sounds promising and I’m looking forward to hearing more about these areas.
Following the recent talk of Notes coming to the iPhone I have been wondering about what other exciting stuff may be announced at Lotusphere 2008. Ed Brill mentions eight announcements for Notes/Domino! Below are a couple of my guesses/wishes for the OGS:
- Universal client – Notes 8.x as a “native” frontend to Microsoft Exchange server using the CSI Java view engine making Notes *the* client of choice for the enterprise
- Mac/Linux – GA dates of Notes 8.x incl. Domino Designer on Mac and Linux making them first class citizens in Notes-land
- Traveler for iPhone – Official announcement Notes Traveler for iPhone (and Symbian OS to include in Nokia users)
- NMFR – Even firmer roadmap for Notes+ and a GA date for what Bob Balaban calls NMFR also unofficially known as 8.5 incl. running Notes without an ID-file and using other LDAP directories (e.g. AD) as the directory
- Roaming/NOMAD – Notes 8 in NOMAD-mode aka Notes-on-a-stick to solve the lack of roaming in Notes 8 Standard
- Lotus Symphony – Endorsement of the IBM Lotus Symphony initiative by major industry players to form a real alliance against the Microsoft Office dominance and expand Symbian support to the Mac
- Lotus Connections for Domino – integration to Domino that allows customers to use Domino Directory as the source for the Profiles component instead of having to pump data to DB2 thus making it easier to deploy Lotus Connections
- Lotus Expeditor – a clear strategy for the Lotus Expeditor platform incl. how/if IBM will keep up with the Eclipse platform and how Expeditor progress in relation to Notes and Sametime
- Java – Duke making an appearance to make it clear that Java is in the Notes client to stay and that developers and customers should “skill up”
There is a fair chance that I will need to update/revise the list after the OGS on Monday… 🙂
Be sure to update your Lotusphere Online profile including a picture. It’s a nice way to find people.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Lotusphere Online is running on Domino 8.0.1 Servers. How can I tell? Well there is a Lite version of Domino Web Access for the mail. This is a *very* nice addition both due to the required load time but also because I hardly need anything else for my Lotusphere Online account. It’s good to see that Lotus is betting that 8.0.1 is production ready out of the box.
5 days to go! 🙂
I’m starting to get really excited. Tomorrow morning, Friday, I’m leaving for Florida. First a week of vacationing, relaxation and sight-seeing and then a week on top notch geek-out at Lotusphere! I’m really excited. I think it’s gonna be one best Lotusphere I have attended.
I’m off to see the wizards(s)…