Fixing Heroku and SFDX CLI after upgrading to macOS High Sierra

macOS was just recently approved by Salesforce IT so I upgraded but only to find that my heroku CLI and SalesforceDX CLI tools had stopped working. I seem to remember that SalesforceDX is basically the same as the Heroku CLI so them failing together made sense. Running the tools only gave strange errors…

$ heroku
    stat /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/heroku/client/bin/heroku: not a directory
    fork/exec /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/heroku/client/bin/heroku: not a directory
$ sfdx
    stat /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/sfdx/client/bin/sfdx: not a directory
panic: fork/exec /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/sfdx/client/bin/sfdx: not a directory

goroutine 1 [running]:
panic(0x259de0, 0xc420017350)
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:500 +0x1a1
main.must(0x3c03c0, 0xc420017350)
	/home/ubuntu/.go_workspace/src/github.com/heroku/cli/io.go:115 +0x5c
main.getExitCode(0x3c03c0, 0xc420017350, 0xc420017350)
	/home/ubuntu/.go_workspace/src/github.com/heroku/cli/main.go:42 +0x12b
main.main()
	/home/ubuntu/.go_workspace/src/github.com/heroku/cli/main.go:28 +0x14c

I started thinking it was an issue with node but it turned out to be caused by the command line tools for macOS having been uninstalled or needing to be updated. Below are the steps I used to install the command line tools, upgrade node (I’m using Homebrew) and fix the Heroku CLI and SalesforceDX CLI.

// update / install command line tools for macOS
$ xcode-select --install

// update homebrew
$ brew update

// verify my node version
$ node --version
v8.8.1

// upgrade node
$ brew upgrade node
==> Upgrading 1 outdated package, with result:
node 9.3.0_1

// now to the real magic - fix heroku cli
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/heroku/client
$ heroku update
heroku-cli: Updating to 6.14.43-73d5876... 12.7 MB/12.7 MB
heroku-cli: Updating CLI... already on latest version: 6.14.43-73d5876
heroku-cli: Updating plugins... done
$ heroku --version
heroku-cli/6.14.43-73d5876 (darwin-x64) node-v9.2.0

// rinse and repeat for SalesforceDX cli
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/sfdx/client
$ sfdx update
sfdx-cli: Updating to 6.0.26-3d23012... 19.3 MB/19.3 MB
Installing dependencies for /Users/mheisterberg/Programming/repos/sfdx-l18n-plugin... done
sfdx-cli: Updating CLI... already on latest version: 6.0.26-3d23012
sfdx-cli: Updating plugins... done
$ sfdx --version
sfdx-cli/6.0.26-3d23012 (darwin-x64) node-v8.6.0

sfdx-l18n-plugin

Today I’ve published my first plugin to the SalesforceDX CLI. The plugin is called sfdx-l18n-plugin and allows you to change localisation settings for the user in the scratch org you create. You can query the current values, list the available values from the org and set new values. The plugin can return values in plaintext or as JSON for automation. Changing the org to run in Japanese using Japanese locale and the timezone from Tokyo is as easy as:

sfdx l18n:user:set -u japanese --locale ja_JP --language ja --timezone Asia/Tokyo

You can now easily create a scratch org and change it to run with the required locale, language and/or timezone.

The plugin may be installed from npm or linked from source after cloning from github. The video below shows the plugin in action.