Finally after talking about it for a long time and working on it for even longer I’m happy to announce that I have uploaded TwitNotes v. 1.0.5 to the update site. This release became bigger than first expected and required more work than expected so I’m really happy to get it out there. Before you go ahead and upgrade/install let me tell you a little about what has happened with TwitNotes since the last public release (v. 1.0.3).
The first and most important is that TwitNotes 1.0.5 runs on Notes 8.0.1, 8.0.2 beta 2 and Notes 8.5 public beta 1 (I admit I haven’t tested on Notes 8.0). The second biggie is that I have rewritten the entire HTTP layer to use the HTTP classes built into the Lotus Expeditor framework (more on this is a separate post). This affords me automatic authentication (due to integration with the Accounts API) but also, supposedly, proxy support. I’m not behind a proxy but the feedback from beta testers is positive. The third and final thing that has changed is that TwitNotes now have two tabs – one for normal tweeting and reading tweets (the UI you know) and the second for searching for Twitter posts (using the service formerly known as Summize). See this post for more info (although the UI has changed slightly).
As noted above this release took more work than first expected but I’m really happy about the result and as noted I ended up scrapping my own HTTP layer. By doing that I got automatic HTTP authentication and proxy support. The drawback is that TwitNotes now require a patched version of the org.apache.commons.lang plugin if you’re running Notes 8.0.1 or Notes 8.5 public beta 1. This is due to some rather unfortunate packaging of this plug-in from IBM Lotus. For some reason this patch isn’t required on Notes 8.0.2 beta 2.
On the positive side I have a conference call with IBM on Friday. This is to confirm that the patched version of the plug-in that I submitted makes it into the next releases of Notes so this no longer will be an issue once 8.5 and 8.0.2 are released.
For now however it means that you have to patch your Notes install (if running Notes 8.0.1/8.5 public beta 1) before installing TwitNotes 1.0.5. It’s really easy and only takes a minute or two. See below to installation instructions.
If you wonder why patching the plugin is necessary read the separate post (Why patching the org.apache.commons.lang plugin is necessary).
- Close your Notes client
- Download the org.apache.commons.lang plugin that’s appropriate from the list below (remember that Notes 8.0.2 beta 2 doesn’t require the patch).
- Locate your Notes installation directory and open the framework/rcp/eclipse/plugins directory (e.g. C:Notes8frameworkrcpeclipseplugins).
- (optional) Rename the file called org.apache.commons.lang_2.2.0.yyyymmdd.jar from something else.
- Copy the jar-file you downloaded to the directory optionally replacing the copy that’s already there.
- Install TwitNotes using the update site I have setup (http://update.lekkimworld.com/attentionotes/) or refer to the somewhat outdated installation guidelines for instructions.
That’s it. I hope you will install TwitNotes and that it will work for you! 🙂 As always comments and suggestions are more than welcome.