The Sametime client has a cache of the information it has fetched from the business card (aka blackbox) system on a per user basis. This is both the textual data and the image data. In case your Sametime client displays stale data you can do one of two things:
- Right-click the contact and select “Refresh Person Info”. This will make Sametime refetch the data from the Sametime server.
- Clear the cache from disk.
In some cases option 1 wont work although it’s far far the easiest. I have seen this when changing the person image format (e.g. from jpg til gif). In this case you may need to clear the cache from disk.
So where is this cache? Well if you open the “workspace.metadata.pluginscom.ibm.collaboration.realtime.people.implPersonCache” directory beneath your Notes data directory you’ll see a directory per Sametime community you’re connected to. In each of these directories you’ll find
- an .index file containing a list of the known users
- an XML file per user with person info
- a picture, if any, of the user
If you want to purge the cache for a community you can close the Notes client, clear the contents of the .index file (you may be able to delete the file altogether but I haven’t tried) and delete the xml and image files. When you restart Notes and hover over a Sametime contact the client will refetch the business card data.