<< 18 December 2017 | Home | 20 December 2017 >>

Fixing Heroku and SFDX CLI after upgrading to macOS High Sierra

macOS was just recently approved by Salesforce IT so I upgraded but only to find that my heroku CLI and SalesforceDX CLI tools had stopped working. I seem to remember that SalesforceDX is basically the same as the Heroku CLI so them failing together made sense. Running the tools only gave strange errors...

$ heroku
    stat /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/heroku/client/bin/heroku: not a directory
    fork/exec /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/heroku/client/bin/heroku: not a directory
$ sfdx
    stat /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/sfdx/client/bin/sfdx: not a directory
panic: fork/exec /Users/mheisterberg/.local/share/sfdx/client/bin/sfdx: not a directory

goroutine 1 [running]:
panic(0x259de0, 0xc420017350)
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:500 +0x1a1
main.must(0x3c03c0, 0xc420017350)
	/home/ubuntu/.go_workspace/src/github.com/heroku/cli/io.go:115 +0x5c
main.getExitCode(0x3c03c0, 0xc420017350, 0xc420017350)
	/home/ubuntu/.go_workspace/src/github.com/heroku/cli/main.go:42 +0x12b
main.main()
	/home/ubuntu/.go_workspace/src/github.com/heroku/cli/main.go:28 +0x14c
I started thinking it was an issue with node but it turned out to be caused by the command line tools for macOS having been uninstalled or needing to be updated. Below are the steps I used to install the command line tools, upgrade node (I'm using Homebrew) and fix the Heroku CLI and SalesforceDX CLI.
// update / install command line tools for macOS
$ xcode-select --install

// update homebrew
$ brew update

// verify my node version
$ node --version
v8.8.1

// upgrade node
$ brew upgrade node
==> Upgrading 1 outdated package, with result:
node 9.3.0_1

// now to the real magic - fix heroku cli
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/heroku/client
$ heroku update
heroku-cli: Updating to 6.14.43-73d5876... 12.7 MB/12.7 MB
heroku-cli: Updating CLI... already on latest version: 6.14.43-73d5876
heroku-cli: Updating plugins... done
$ heroku --version
heroku-cli/6.14.43-73d5876 (darwin-x64) node-v9.2.0

// rinse and repeat for SalesforceDX cli
$ rm -rf ~/.local/share/sfdx/client
$ sfdx update
sfdx-cli: Updating to 6.0.26-3d23012... 19.3 MB/19.3 MB
Installing dependencies for /Users/mheisterberg/Programming/repos/sfdx-l18n-plugin... done
sfdx-cli: Updating CLI... already on latest version: 6.0.26-3d23012
sfdx-cli: Updating plugins... done
$ sfdx --version
sfdx-cli/6.0.26-3d23012 (darwin-x64) node-v8.6.0