<< 04 January 2009 | Home | 06 January 2009 >>

LotusScript.doc v2 - an update on the progress

Besides working way too much I have spent a good part of my Holidays working on LotusScript.doc version 2 and I'm happy to say that it is very close to completion. I have spent a great deal of time finalizing the logging framework and building the Notes/Java bridge to allow you to run LotusScript.doc from a Notes database instead of as a command line program. I also needed to weed out some issues in this regard which is why I have been blogging issues such as configuring the java.policy file and the maximum Java heap size.

To clarify...

LotusScript.doc v2 is out in a very, very limited prebeta 1 with one person besides me to try and weed out the most serious issues before releasing a beta. Again a beta, at least the first, will only go out to a select number of people to try and keep track of who has what release.

The goals for the functionality of LotusScript.doc v2 are very big but for starters I'm going for feature parity with LotusScript v1. Then once the new technology is out there I'm going to start enabling the new and advanced features.

Thank you for your patience.

LotusScript.doc v2 - required Java heap changes

Strong: Just to clarify - LotusScript.doc v2 isn't out yet. It is out in a very, very limited prebeta 1 (one person besides me) in preparation for a more general beta process hopefully in the very near future. See this post for a clarification on the progress.

As you might know LotusScript.doc v2 is written in Java instead of LotusScript. This means that you have to make some minor changes to your Notes client to make it work. One of the settings you need to change is the size of the Java heap that is the amount of memory allocated to Java objects.

To change that you need to set the JavaMaxHeapSize notes.ini parameter as described in the Lotus Notes and Domino wiki. Although the wiki describes the setting as only being applicable to Domino servers it works just as fine for my test Notes client (8.0.2 Standard in this case). To change the setting add the following to your notes.ini (do check whether it is already set):

JavaMaxHeapSize=384MB